Thursday, March 11, 2010

Purchasing PVC Supplies

So I'm starting my first PVC Shakuhachi...

I have wanted to give it a shot, just to be able to blow something before I order my real flute from Perry Yung.  I saw his post on Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ and couldn't resist, really.  I purchased all the supplies for literally $20.  I purchased a nice file/rasp set from Xacto, but I'm not counting that $25 in the price, as I needed them anyway.

This weekend I plan on making my first shakuhachi.  No idea how I am going to get the angle of the utaguchi correct, but I can probably figure it out.  I have a hacksaw, but may invest in a wider blade so my angle doesn't go askew.

I've picked up quite a bit of info just checking out Perry Yung's site and youtube videos.  I can't wait to make this shakuhachi this weekend and play it (or attempt to).  I'll record my very first time touching and playing a shakuhachi to see if I'm the natural my wife believes I am.  Sure, I've played the Western Standard flute for forever, but this is a different ball of wax. In a few weeks when I order my flute from Perry, I also plan on recording my first few moments with his flute, such as opening the packaging and playing it for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment